Student Support Services
The Student Support Services (SSS) Program is a federally funded program committed to meeting the needs of students seeking a two-year degree at Murray State College.
The mission of Student Support Services at Murray State College is to enhance academic skills and increase retention, graduation, and transfer rates for eligible first-generation, low-income, or disabled students who have an academic need for program services. The SSS program also encourages participants to recognize their unique potential by providing services in a caring and supportive environment.
Approximately 50 percent of college freshmen drop out during their first year. Nationally, students in TRIO Student Support Services are more than twice as likely to remain in college as students from similar backgrounds who do not participate in the program.
To meet the eligibility requirements, a student must be enrolled at Murray State College and have a need for academic support. In addition, a student must belong to one of these student groups:
First-generation college student (neither parent has a 4-year college degree)
Financially disadvantaged (as determined by federal guidelines)
Two-thirds of SSS participants must be first-generation and financially disadvantaged or disabled according to federal guidelines.
Services provided by the Program May Include:
Academic Advisement and Planning
Financial Aid Information
Assistance in Filling Out Financial Aid Forms
Assistance in Applying for Admission to 4 Year Colleges/Universities and Obtaining Federal Student Aid
Area College Transfer Day Transportation
Study Skills Development
And Much More!
All program services are provided at no cost to participants.
For more information, contact the Student Support Services office at 580-367-7260 or come by the SSS office in the Classroom Building on the Tishomingo Campus . We are also located on the Murray State College campus in Ardmore, Oklahoma. The Ardmore location is inside of the Academic Resource Center (ARC).
Above is the link to the SSS Application. It can be downloaded as a PDF and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Marvin Leeper-Writing Tutor
Tuesday-Thursday 8:00 AM-5:00 PM
Located in SS116
email email@example.com for further help in writing.
TutorMe.com is also available through the Student Support Services Program
Upcoming SSS Events
Fall 2022 Events will be added in August 2022
The Student Support Service Program at Muray State College has a resource room available to students in the Student Service (SS) Building. This room had several resources to help students succeed at all levels of their educational experience. All of the
- Graphing Calculators
- Dry-Erase Board
- Study Space
- Phone Chargers
- Skeleton, Brain, Heart, and Torso for Anatomy and Physiology
Timeline for Transfer
- Apply for FAFSA (Oct 1)
- Meet with your SSS Advisor to map out your course plan
- Research possible transfer opportunities
- Set a graduation date goal
- Explore Majors
- Get involved on campus
- Apply for MSC Scholarships
- Meet with your SSS Advisor to discuss transfer school options
- Select Major
- Mark transfer application deadlines on your calendar
- Visit with SSS about visiting college campuses
- Apply for Scholarships
- Renew your FAFSA
- Choose at least three transfer schools to apply to for transfer
- Start working on your resume
- Continue updating your academic plan
- Check progress towards graduation goal
- Submit MSC graduation application in Registrar's Office
- Register for Orientation at transfer school if required
- Submit official transcripts
- Meet with financial aid to discuss financial aid award letters
- Submit necessary documentation to transfer school
- Order your cap and gown for commencement in the MSC Bookstore
- Enjoy this new journey and making new friends!
It is OK to extend your transfer timeline-many students complete in 3 years! You may also want to check out the following in the class schedules:
- 2nd Eight Week courses
- Winter Interim courses
- Summer Courses
What can impact your transfer timeline?
- Delaying or changing your major decision
- Not passing, withdrawing, or being withdrawn from courses
- Not having a high enough GPA
- Not following your transfer academic plan
- StudentLingo is a series of interactive on-demand workshops, action plans, and valuable resources focused on helping students achieve their academic, personal, and career goals. Workshops can be purchased individually or in packages. The link below will take you to their website where you can access multiple workshops to help you succeed!
PathwayU's career path tool and degree planning software is a game-changer for your institution and your students. It has measurable positive impacts on retention, student attitudes, and performance
Online Student Success Resources
Do you need to know how to study math, write a chemistry lab report, or how to pass a psychology final? All the study strategies and writing techniques are organized here by subject matter.
HippoCampus provides homework and study help through high-quality, multimedia content on a variety of general education subjects to college students free of charge
Khan Academy offers over 1400 tutoring videos on YouTube covering everything from basic arithmetic and algebra to differential equations, physics, chemistry, biology, and finance.
The Purdue Online Writing Lab offers over 200 free resources to assist you with writing. These resources include:
- Writing and Teaching Writing
- Grammar and Mechanics
- Style Guides
- ESL (English as a Second Language)
- Job Search and Professional Writing
From Steve Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, the Study Guides and Strategies website makes it easy to create effective habits for studying more effectively. Click the link above to take the 'checking my study skills' 10-question quiz and discover how you can establish effective habits to aid in your academic success.
It is easy to determine what grades you need to make in order to raise your GPA, but you must focus and work hard to be successful. The GPA Calculator is easy to use. Just plug in the appropriate numbers and it will calculate for you. Check it out!
Time management is one of the most important keys to student success. We only get 24 hours in one day and your academic success depends on how you spend it. Click the link above to visit the Study Guides and Strategies' time management site that will assist with organizing and prioritizing your 24.
Automatic works cited and bibliography formatting for MLA, APA, and Chicago/Turabian citation styles
Free Study Apps Available
Student Support Services Staff:
Shelby Eason, Counselor Jake Mitzner
Check us out on Facebook and Istagram!
Murray State College Student Support Services