Page Header


Frequently Asked Questions

Please review the following frequently asked questions for more information regarding Concurrent Enrollment at Murray State College.

How many credit hours can I take concurrently?

Concurrent students typically take between 3 and 9 credit hours a semester determined by their high school counselor. Your high school counselor/principal will help determine the appropriate amount of hours you can take through the Recommendation Form. The State Regents limits students to 19 credit hours per semester combined between their high school and MSC enrollment. MSC considers each class taken at the high school as 3 credit hours. This means that if you wanted to take 2 classes (6 credit hours) with MSC, you could take no more than 4 classes at your high school.

What college courses should I take and will they transfer?

There are several general education courses at the collegiate level that are required no matter what major you choose. These courses transfer to other colleges and universities, giving students a jump start on their collegiate requirements. Students who plan on transferring outside the state of Oklahoma should work closely with the college/university they plan to transfer to. Below is a list of recommended courses for concurrently enrolled students:

  • English Comp I and/or English Comp II

  • Survey of Math (future Arts and Language Arts Majors)

  • Mathematical Functions and their Uses (future Non-STEM, Business, and Ag Majors)

  • Precalculus (future Algebra for STEM Majors requiring Calculus)

  • US History to 1877 and/or US History Since 1877

  • US Government

  • Introductory Psychology

  • Introductory Sociology

  • Music Appreciation and/or Art Appreciation

  • Humanities I and/or Humanities II

  • Fundamentals of Speech

*Additional courses may be considered depending on a students intended major, where they plan on attending school and how they might fit into a students semester schedule.

What exactly does the state tuition waiver cover?

The Oklahoma state tuition program for concurrent enrollment will cover tuition for up to 18 college credit hours for high school seniors only. Students will be responsible for books and fees associated with the courses they are enrolled in. Students can take additional courses but will be responsible for the cost of tuition for anything over 6 credit hours.

Do I need to apply for concurrent enrollment every semester that I am in high school?

Yes. An updated high school transcript and a Concurrent Enrollment Packet must be submitted for every semester a student is planning to take college courses. Immunization records and ACT scores do not need to be provided every semester unless something has changed.

Is there an online application fee?

Yes. There is a $10.00 admissions application fee which will need to be paid using a credit card at the time application is made.

How can I get a copy of my college transcript?

Students can view/print unofficial copies of their MSC college transcript through their MyMurray student portal. Students can request an official transcript here. It is important to remember that your balance must be paid in full in order to receive a copy of your official MSC transcript.