MSC Speakers Bureau
Murray State College is pleased to offer a speakers bureau as a way to provide local nonprofit groups, civic organizations, schools and churches with interesting speakers and top-quality programs. The MSC Speakers Bureau is a public service provided at no charge.
Speakers are employees or retirees of Murray State College and come from departments and disciplines across the college. Speakers are available to discuss a wide variety of topics. Additional topics and/or speakers may also be requested on an individual basis.
To request a speaker for your organization, please contact Communications Director Cheryl Phelps at 580-387-7123 or firstname.lastname@example.org. At least two weeks’ notice is preferred, but all requests will be considered.
Departmental/Professional Expertise - Speakers also can discuss specialty areas related to their departments and professional expertise.
Speakers and Topics
- General Art Appreciation: How to look at art (and not say, “My kid could do that!”).
- Role of the Arts Community in Economic Development: How important are the arts in the community, economy, and education? Very!
- The Local/Regional Arts Scene: Be amazed at the number and variety of nationally and internationally known artists from the Southern Oklahoma area.
- Exhibits and Collection of the Goddard Center: Arrange for a walking tour explaining the changing current exhibit at the Charles B. Goddard Center galleries.
Cecil Carter, Economic Development
- Community and Economic Development
- Management for Non-Profit Organizations
- Landscaping with native plants to attract birds
Ronnie Coppedge, Director of Media Center Operations
- History of the Freemasons: Interesting information on this fascinating group from the Middle Ages to the American Revolution.
- The Fiction of Memory: Why memory is nothing like what we think it is, and how our brains fool us all the time.
- The Truth About What Motivates People: Motivation is a multimillion dollar business. So, why are so many people doing it wrong?
Dr. Aaron Elmer, Executive Director Financial Aid & Academic Support Services
- Federal Financial Aid and FAFSA Workshops
- Sustainable Beekeeping in Oklahoma: Learn about sustainable, global, chemical-free beekeeping from an experienced, award-winning beekeeper who resides in Oklahoma with millions of honey bees
- Oklahoma’s Environmental Riches: Why Oklahoma’s Wildlife Diversity is among the Richest of the states and is Known among Ecologists Worldwide.
- We Dance When Sun Is in the Bear's Cave: Listen to some of the sky-watching tales of the Lakota Sioux and learn how those stories affected their daily lives.
Amy McCain, Education and Behavioral Sciences
- Leadership, child development and children's issues, stress management, positive guidance and other topics on request.
- Medieval Women and Education: Have we come a long way, baby? Medieval European History: Fun and educational tidbits about an often misunderstood period.
- The Renaissance: Interesting info on this period - but how enlightened were they?
- Ancient Roman History: A fascinating glimpse into the past time of Roman glory…and infamy.
- NASA Astronaut Training and Procedures: Behind the scenes look at what it takes to have “the right stuff,” from a NASA insider.
- Aspects of American History: Just how well do we know our own past, really?
Don Mercer, Chief Information Officer/Executive Director for Instructional Technology
- Starting My Own Business: The biz tips every entrepreneur should know to succeed.
- Investing in the Stock Markets: Where to start and how to work a stock market portfolio.
- What Do “Computer Guys” Really Do? An inside look at what the IT industry and professionals are all about.
- Various military-related topics: “So There I Was…” Stories and information about the daily workings of life in the military.
- Finding that Perfect Job: Individuals in today's job market will find themselves looking for new jobs many times over the course of their careers.
- Bugs, Bugs, All Around! Insects are the most diverse and abundant group of organisms on the planet! We can discuss the biodiversity and impact insects have on our world around us.
- The Edible Insect! As our planet grows our protein sources must diversify! We will explore what insects are edible and how delicious and nutritious they can be.
- Harmful and Helpful Arthropods: Insects and other arthropod relatives (such as spiders, scorpions, & ticks) are all around. Some are helpful, and some are harmful. Find out which ones are which, and how some are both!
- Getting to Know the Professions: This presentation introduces a corporate ladder, the job descriptions and salaries to students. (For middle and high school students.)
- Job Seeking from the Recruiter's Perspective: This provides a recruiters perspective of what the job seeker is or is not doing correct. Discussion includes resumes, networking, and interviewing.
- Astronomy and related topics
Kirk Rodden, Social Science
- General Oklahoma History: Everything you wanted to know about the Sooner State, but were afraid to ask!
- Governor William H. Murray--”The Sage of Tishomingo”: Learn about this fascinating and colorful Oklahoma character who helped shape the Sooner State.
- The KKK in 1920s Oklahoma: Yes, at one point, the KKK was an important influence in Oklahoma.
- The New Deal, Great Depression, and the Dust Bowl in Oklahoma: Three events that would forever change the course of Oklahoma’s history.
- History of Murray State College: How this 100-plus-year-old college has changed Southern Oklahoma since beginning as an agricultural high school.
Murray State College Provides Opportunities for
Student Learning, Personal Growth, Professional Success, and Community Enhancement.